The best technology in the world is no good if teachers can’t or won’t use it in the classroom. Thus, we’ve focused on 5 key areas that support faculty desire to integrate technology:
Provide faculty with good technology for their own use. At U-High, this includes:
- a fast laptop or tablet computer in the hands of every faculty member. They need a laptop that helps them get more work done faster and easier.
- a good classroom computer with a bright, easy to see projector.
Provide good support
- for faculty, immediate help from the tech director for hardware and software issues, as well as access to a replacement laptop if needed.
- for students, our tech help support desk so that if they are experiencing a laptop issue during class, they can get same-day help.
A consistent, easy to use platform online within which they can do classroom tasks they are used to, such as posting documents, listing weblinks and posting and grading assignments.
- At U-High this is done with the Blackboard course management system.
- All of our teachers and students have access to this, and most use it.
- Because it has been in place for over a decade, our teachers don’t have to recreate, relearn or repost items every year.
- It’s easy for new teachers to learn to use the system because all of their colleagues use the system.
- And it’s loaded with both traditional features (like serving as a repository for readings, media, assignments and weblinks), and web 2.0 features like assignment submission and grading, chats, discussions and more.
A reliable laptop in the hands of every student
- teachers can know that every student will have the tools needed to complete any assignment or assessment.
- For more information on the logistics of our 1-1 initiative, click here.
Ongoing professional development that encourages faculty to innovate in the classroom and gives them the time and resources to do so.