Thank you for your interest in University High School. Under the direction of the Dean of the College of Education, U-High continues the long tradition reflected in the four-part mission of the Illinois State University Laboratory Schools:
- Provide a school in which excellence in education theory and practice can be observed, studied, and practiced by teacher candidates and other pre-service school professionals.
- Provide an environment in which research and development activities may be conducted.
- Provide a comprehensive, high-quality academic program for students.
- Promote effective high-quality education throughout the teaching profession and aid other educators in the process of improving the quality of education in their schools.
Class size: Each freshman class is comprised of approximately 150 students.
District of Residence: Illinois State University Laboratory Schools are limited by state law to 1,000 students (excluding students with identified disabilities), with approximately 60% of those students attending U-High. The maximum number of students that can be admitted from McLean County Unit District 5 is 642; the maximum for Bloomington School District 87 is 246. The remainder of the students may be admitted from other school districts in the state.
Academic Ability: Metcalf accepts students at varying academic levels, and does not seek to enroll only high-performing or gifted students.
Socio-Economic Levels: Students are selected from various socio-economic levels.
Procedures & Dates for 20-21
Please note: Our Prospective Student Open House has been re-scheduled for Wednesday, January 22, 2020 starting at 6:00 pm.
If you are thinking of applying to U-High, here’s what you need to know for admittance for the 2020-21 school year:
1. Shadow another student for a day (Shadowing is available from January 30 – February 28, 2020 and March 23-27, 2020, with a limit of six (6) prospective freshman students per day)
If you are interested in seeing what a school day is like at U-High, we invite you to “shadow” another student for a day in our building. Please complete the shadowing form (click to open) to schedule a shadow. Forms can be dropped off in the main office, faxed to 309.438.5198 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, please contact the main office at 309.438.8428. Once scheduled, you will receive an email confirmation.
2. Review the documents below (please note that these documents may be updated prior to the next admissions window so please use them as a guide only):
- Welcome Letter (will be updated in January 2020)
- Informational Letter
- Description of U-High
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Current Fee Schedule
3. Complete an application during the application period (January 29, 2020-February 28, 2020)
You will need to submit your student’s grades, test scores (PARCC, if available, for freshman applicants; ACT, SAT, PSAT or ACT ASPIRE for upperclass applicants), a discipline report/letter along with the required handwritten short essays.
If you have any questions, please contact John Larson at 309.438.8428 or email@example.com.
*You can learn more about attending U-High at our Open House for interested students on January 22 at 6pm. You will be able to meet all of our faculty and staff, along with many of our activity sponsors and coaches, and you’ll also have the opportunity to tour our classrooms and facilities on that evening.