There are a number of key items to consider:
Functionality: what are the key things you need in a good device for students?
- good ergonomics: keyboard, touchpad/mouse, camera, microphone
- screen size & quality
- battery life
- speed: does it have the specs you need to avoid speed bottlenecks? Processor, memory, network card
Price: how much money do you have to work with?
- & warranty: is the cost worth it? what about accidental drop and damage?
Durability: how well will this unit hold up over 3-4 years of student use?
- strength of casing? Does it protect the display or is it something flexible that could be damaged in a book bag?
- strength of hinges (if it’s a laptop or convertible): will they hold up to kids carrying the unit by the screen?
- regardless of warranty, does this unit have parts that are repairable? How expensive are they?
- if you have a warranty, what is covered? What is the turnaround time on repairs?